Edge of Wheat Field with Poppies
- Vincent van Gogh, Dutch, 1853-1890
- Born: Zundert, Netherlands
- Work Locations: Brussels, Belgium, Paris, France, Arles, France
Oil paint on canvas on pasteboard
Frederic C. Hamilton Collection, bequeathed to the Denver Art Museum
Vincent van Gogh (Dutch). Edge of Wheat Field with Poppies. 1887. Oil paint on canvas on pasteboard. Frederic C. Hamilton Collection, bequeathed to the Denver Art Museum. 35.2017.
Dimensionsimage height: 15.75 in, 40.005 cm; image width: 12.75 in, 32.385 cm; frame height: 25 5/8 in, 65.0875 cm; frame width: 22 3/4 in, 57.785 cm; frame depth: 4 in, 10.16 cm
DepartmentEuropean and American Art Before 1900
CollectionEuropean Painting and Sculpture before 1900
Known ProvenanceW. van Gogh, Haarlem. Mrs. J. van Gogh-Bonger, Amsterdam. Sale, (Muller & Co., Amsterdam), April 9–10, 1918. W. P. Ingenegeren, Utrecht. Sale, F. Muller, Amsterdam, April 9–10, 1918, no. 117. (d’Audretsch Art Gallery, The Hague, H. E.[Herman] d’Audretsch [1872–1966], art dealer). (N. Eisenloeffel Art Gallery, Amsterdam, Nico Eisenloeffel [1881–1974], art dealer). Mr. and Mrs. William Herman, Boston, about 1928; Mrs. William Herman, Boston, about 1968. John T. Dorrance, Jr. [1919–1989], Pennsylvania; purchase, (Acquavella Galleries, Inc., New York), 1987; purchase, (Edobori Gallery, Osaka, Japan), 1987. Purchase, Sotheby’s New York, 1987 (?). Private collection, Japan, by 1990. Sale, Sotheby’s New York, May 13, 1997, no. 23 (repr.). Collection of Frederic C. Hamilton [1927–2016], Denver, by 2012; bequeathed to the Denver Art Museum, 2014.
- "Tentoonstelling van schilderijen en teekeningen door Vincent van Gogh" ("exhibition of Paintings and Drawings by Vincent van Gogh")—Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam, 1905, no. 34
- "Becoming Van Gogh"—Denver Art Museum, 10/21/2012 - 01/20/2013
- "Nature as Muse: Impressionist Landscapes from the Frederic C. Hamilton Collection and the Denver Art Museum"—Denver Art Museum, 10/27/2013 - 02/09/2014