Adoration of the Magi (L’Adoration des rois)
- François Boucher, French, 1703-1770
- Born: Paris
Pen and black ink, brush and brown ink and red chalk wash, highlighted with white chalk, over black chalk and graphite, on cream laid paper affixed to decorative mount
The Esmond Bradley Martin Collection
François Boucher (French). Adoration of the Magi (L’Adoration des rois). c. 1760's. Pen and black ink, brush and brown ink and red chalk wash, highlighted with white chalk, over black chalk and graphite, on cream laid paper affixed to decorative mount. The Esmond Bradley Martin Collection. 2019.601.
Dimensionsheight: 17.875 in, 45.4025 cm; width: 11.625 in, 29.5275 cm; frame height: 24.5 in, 62.2300 cm; frame width: 18.125 in, 46.0375 cm; frame depth: 0.875 in, 2.2225 cm; height: 18.125 in, 46.0375 cm; width: 11.875 in, 30.1625 cm
DepartmentEuropean and American Art Before 1900
CollectionEuropean Painting and Sculpture before 1900
Known ProvenanceJean-Baptiste Glomy (his dry stamp on mount at lower right, G; Lugt 1119); private collection, France, until 1974; sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, October 25, 1974, lot 41; with Wildenstein, New York; from which acquired by Esmond Bradley Martin [1941–2018], 1978; gifted to the Denver Art Museum, 2019.
- "Maîtres du dessin français au 18ème siècle"—Wildenstein, Tokyo, exh. cat., 1977, no. 8, repr.
- "French and Italian Master Drawings from the Collection of Esmond Bradley Martin, Jr."—Denver Art Museum, 1982, exh. cat. by Phyllis Hattis, no. 4, pp. 5, 7, repr.
- "Old Master Paintings and Drawings from Colorado Collections"—The Aspen Art Museum, 07/30/1998 - 09/27/1998, exh. cat. by Timothy J. Standring, unnumbered, repr. opposite p. 147
- "Passport to Paris"—Denver Art Museum, 10/27/2013–02/09/2014