Eminent Domain: a Brief History of America
- Jim Denomie, Ojibwe, Lac Courte Oreilles Band, American, 1955 - March 2, 2022
- Born: Wisconsin
- Work Locations: Minnesota
Jim Denomie (Ojibwa, Lac Courte Oreilles Band), Eminent Domain: A Brief History of America, 2011. Oil paint on canvas; 84 x 144 in. Denver Art Museum: Native Arts acquisition funds, 2013.67. © Jim Denomie. Courtesy of the artist and Bockley Gallery.
In this monumentally scaled painting the artist examines well-known events in American history using his bold narrative and often cartoon-like style.
Look closely at this map of the United States to see more than one hundred images depicting such events as:
- Osama Bin Laden as King Kong scaling the Twin Towers
- Christopher Columbus arriving in three UPS trucks
- Mt. Rushmore with pop culture icons
- Abraham Lincoln observing the assassination of John F. Kennedy
- The bombing of the Federal Building in Oklahoma City
- Civil War battles
- Tonto and the Lone Ranger
Each event is depicted in roughly the geographic location in which it occurred with Denomie's characteristic biting wit as he presents a conflicted national history.
- “Counting Coup”—Museum of Contemporary Native Arts, Santa Fe, NM, 8/19/2011 - 12/31/2011