The Wedding Picture
- Bo Bartlett, American, 1955-
- Born: Columbus, GA
- Work Locations: United States
Bo Bartlett, The Wedding Picture, 1977. Oil paint on linen. Gift from Vicki and Kent Logan to the Collection of the Denver Art Museum, 2001.690. © Bo Bartlett
Bo Bartlett is known for his portrayal of the country’s heartland in an American realist style. In “The Wedding Picture,” a bride and groom stand alone in a rural landscape, engaging in the tradition of cutting their wedding cake. The male figure stares directly at the viewer in a possessive way, while the female remains focused on the task at hand. The sun seems to be setting, as an ominous darkness creeps over the groom’s shoulder, along with a strong wind that has swept his bride’s vail. Only one champagne glass can be seen on the cake table, placed in front of the groom, causing more questions to be raised. The painting leaves the viewer feeling unsettled, with an air of disconnected romance.
Bo Bartlett attended the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts and graduated from New York University’s film school in 1986.
© Bo Bartlett
- "Heartland: Paintings and Drawings by Bo Bartlett"—The Columbus Museum, 1/29/03 - 4/20/03
- Greenville County Museum of Art, 5/28/03 - 9/21/03
- Frye Art Museum, 12/13/03 - 3/21/04
- Santa Barbara Museum of Art 6/17/04 - 8/24/04
- Museum of Modern Art of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, 9/17/04 - 11/28/04
- "In Limbo"—University of Denver, Victoria H. Myhren Gallery, 1/13/2005 - 3/11/2005
- “Disruption: Works from the Vicki and Kent Logan Collection” — Denver Art Museum, 1/13/2022
Some images in our online collection are at thumbnail size, in accordance with AAMD guidelines, because they are protected by copyright. The Denver Art Museum respects the rights of artists or their representatives who retain the copyright to their work. Other images represent the best photography available and should be used as reference images only. Please complete the Image Rights Request form if you want to request a high resolution image.