Soliloquy: Life's Fragile Fictions
- Moyo Ogundipe, Nigerian, b. 1948
- Work Locations: Denver, CO, Nigeria
MediumAcrylic paint on canvas
Credit LineJoan Evans Anderman Memorial Fund
Moyo Ogundipe (Yoruba), Soliloquy: Life's Fragile Fictions, 1997. Acrylic paint on canvas; 48 1/4 in. x 72 in. Denver Art Museum: Joan Evans Anderman Memorial Fund, 2000.243. © Moyo Ogundipe
Dimensionsheight: 48 1/4 in, 122.5550 cm; width: 72 in, 182.8800 cm
InscriptionBottom right: "Moyo Ogundipe '97". Sticker on back: "Orlando Museum of Art 2416 N. Mills Ave., Orlando, FL 32803 Exhibition: TransAfrican Art Invitational December 13, 1997 - February 15, 1998 Artist: Moyo Ogundipe (Nigeria, b. 1948) Title: Soliloquy: The Fragile Fictions of Life, 1997 Medium: acrylic on canvas Size: 48 1/8 x 72 1/4 in. Credit line: Courtesy of the Artist"
CollectionArts of Africa
Contemporary Yoruba artist Moyo Ogundipe draws on a vast storehouse of African and Western imagery for his paintings. Among his inspirations are the house posts carved by Olowe Ise. Traditional African body decoration, birds as symbols of freedom and power, and batik patterns are recurring motifs, but so are creatures from Greek mythology.
Known ProvenanceDenver Art Museum purchased directly from artist, 2000
- "TransAfrican Art Invitational"—Orlando Museum of Art, 12/13/1997 - 2/15/1998
- "Transatlantic Dialogue"—Ackland Art Museum, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 12/19/1999 - 3/26/2000
- National Museum of African Art, Smithsonian Institution, 5/21/2000 - 9/3/2000
- Joan Evans Anderman Memorial Reception—Denver Art Museum, lobby, 2/11/2001 - 2/18/2001.
Some images in our online collection are at thumbnail size, in accordance with AAMD guidelines, because they are protected by copyright. The Denver Art Museum respects the rights of artists or their representatives who retain the copyright to their work. Other images represent the best photography available and should be used as reference images only. Please complete the Image Rights Request form if you want to request a high resolution image.