- Charles Marion Russell, American, 1864-1926
- Born: Missouri
- Work Locations: Western U.S.
MediumOil paint on canvas
Credit LineGift of Sharon Magness
Charles Marion Russell, Buffalo Hunt, 1898. Oil on canvas, 18 1/8 x 25 3/8 in.
Denver Art Museum: Gift of Sharon Magness, 1997.517
Dimensionsframe height: 27 in, 68.58 cm; frame width: 33 1/8 in, 84.1375 cm; frame depth: 1 3/4 in, 4.445 cm; canvas height: 18 1/8 in, 46.0375 cm; canvas width: 25 3/8 in, 64.4525 cm
Inscription"C M Russell [bull logo] 1898"; brass plate "Buffalo Hunt, Charles M Russell, 1865-1926"; gallery stickers and painting information on back.
DepartmentPetrie Institute of Western American Art
CollectionPetrie Institute of Western American Art
This object is currently on view
Known ProvenanceSharon Magness, Denver, CO; Gifted to the Denver Art Museum, 1997.
- "Harmless Hunter: The Wildlife Work of Charles M. Russell"—National Museum of Wildlife Art, 5/17/14 - 8/17/14
- The Rockwell Museum of Western Art, 9/19/2014 - 1/4/2015
- Sam Noble Museum, 1/31/2015 - 4/26/2015, Charles M. Russell Museum, 5/16/2015 - 9/13/2015
- "America, Land of Horsemen"—Fomento Cultural Banamex A.C., 4/10/2018 - 9/2/2018
- Centro Cultural Palacio La Moneda, 11/7/2018 - 3/10/2019
Some images in our online collection are at thumbnail size, in accordance with AAMD guidelines, because they are protected by copyright. The Denver Art Museum respects the rights of artists or their representatives who retain the copyright to their work. Other images represent the best photography available and should be used as reference images only. Please complete the Image Rights Request form if you want to request a high resolution image.