Rupprecht Matthies looks to the community for inspiration. In his work, he asked refugees from around the world to share their stories and experiences resettling in Denver.
- Find creative ways to ask your community to share their experiences with you.
- What has surprised you about having to be at home?
- What did you leave behind?
- What word stays in your thoughts?
- What is something that you miss?
- What is one word that describes “home” to you NOW?
With their responses, pick out a few words that stand out to you and feature in a word cloud.
- Clothes hanger
Related Creative Activities
After spending time exploring aspects of the Ancestor Portrait and the importance of ancestor portraits in the Chinese tradition, students will create an ancestor portrait using mixed media materials and present it to the class.