Not a Stick
TIP: When children imagine, guess, describe, and wonder, they learn to think in new ways. After reading the book, introduce a variety of small sticks to your art area. Encourage the children to consider the many different ways a stick can be used with their imagination.
In this story, the pig uses a stick to fight dragons, conduct an orchestra and go fishing. It's amazing what a stick can be when it's not a stick.
- What else could be made with this stick?
- What would you want to make with this stick?
- Why can a stick become so many different things?
- Have you ever used your imagination to make something wonderful from a stick?
- Educators, are there other books in your collection that could be used for this type of imaginative thinking?
Related Creative Activities
After spending time exploring aspects of the Ancestor Portrait and the importance of ancestor portraits in the Chinese tradition, students will create an ancestor portrait using mixed media materials and present it to the class.