- Provide an 8x10 piece of felt with slits one inch apart across almost the entire width of the piece.
- Leave a one inch space around the entire felt piece as a border.
- Provide various material choices to weave in and out of the slits:
- Pipe cleaners
- Cut paper (paper bag, card stock, etc)
- Heavy yarn pieces
- We each started with the same blank piece of felt. Now that we are finished are any of the two projects in the class alike?
- Why is it important to weave in and out?
- What materials feel rough? Smooth?
- What colors or patterns do you see?
TIP: Practice in small groups before placing it in a self-led center. Introduce students to the materials and show an example of the art of weaving.