The DAM’s Creative-in-Residence program offers a unique opportunity to take inspiration from on-view exhibitions and collections while working with visitors from around the world. Utilize DAM visitors as a resource, collaborator, point of inspiration, or active participant in a project that you create in the museum environment. The first two months of the residency are dedicated to ideating, experimenting, and exploring–both ideas and materials. The subsequent months will focus on implementing your creative project, working with DAM visitors, and presenting a culminating moment.
The Creative-in-Residence home base is a public flexible workspace inside the Creative Hub. Custom worktable configurations, pop-up display, outdoor spaces, and areas for larger group work or performances will be available options for the resident. The resident will also have access to art workshop spaces for additional equipment and resources.
A minimum of 10 hours onsite per week is a requirement of the Creative-in-Residence program. Two 3-hour blocks (6 hours) will be regularly scheduled “office hours” that need to include at least one weekday (ex. Tuesdays & Thursdays 1-4pm). The remaining 4 required onsite hours can be carried-out at the resident’s discretion. The Creative-in-Residence workspace is accessible any time during museum business hours.
The intention of this residency is to expand the practices of local emerging creatives through the opportunity of creating and interacting with the public in a museum environment. We are committed to developing ongoing connections with Denver’s creative community to further develop engaging experiences for visitors and creatives alike.
We are looking for creatives who:
- Have a dedicated creative practice in visual art, music, performance, craft, spoken word, film, writing, or any other creative discipline.
- Have a demonstrable interest in interactive, participatory, and/or socially engaged practice.
- Want to share their practice with the public.
- Currently live and work in the Denver metro area and can commute to the museum during the entire residency period.
- Pass a background check.
Our Ideal Creative-in-Residence is:
- Interested in creative projects with interactive or participatory entry points for the public
- Eager to explore their practice with and alongside DAM visitors.
- Able to use their practice to create opportunities for conversation and collaboration.
- Enjoys working in a space that is open to the public.
- Interested in connecting their practice to the DAM’s collections and temporary exhibitions.
- A natural collaborator with the ability to creatively problem solve practical and logistical challenges.
- Has a desire to collaborate with museum staff in the planning and evolution of their project.
- A confident communicator.
- Deadline for applications: February 18, 2022 by 11:59 MST
- Notification of short-listing: March 2, 2022
- Interviews: Week of March 7, 2022
- Final selection announced: March 21, 2022
- Residency starts: April 4, 2022
- Completion of residency: August 27, 2022
Learn more about the opportunity and apply before February 18.
What is the Creative Hub?
A new learning and engagement space that has been developed with feedback from local community partners. The community created vision of this space is:
- It will feel like a comfortable place for gathering, having a welcoming, communal buzz.
- It will be a platform for exchange, a place for diverse and changing, community-driven programming and convenings, partner meetings and events, pre- and post-gallery experiences.
- It will celebrate local creativity, showcasing work from varied community groups, as well as being a place where our local Creatives-in-Residence can work with the public.
- It will enable creative experiences, providing hands-on, self-directed learning opportunities where visitors can spark their own creativity through participatory experiences.