The Denver Art Museum was one of the first art museums in the nation to collect Indigenous arts of North America for their aesthetic qualities rather than their anthropological value. For the reinstallation, staff worked closely with the museum’s Indigenous Community Advisory Council and with other artists and leaders within Indigenous communities to incorporate Native voices and perspectives into the new galleries.
Join museum staff and council members in a conversation about what this collaboration looked like, from contributing to community voice videos and labels, consulting on the accuracy of content, and developing big ideas in the Home/Land section.
The Insight: Meet the Martin Building Series includes four sessions:
- March 15, 2022: A View From Under the Hard Hat
- May 3, 2022: Holding Up: Stories from Conservation
- July 12, 2022: Mission Impossible: Planning for the New Galleries
- September 27, 2022: In Dialogue: Indigenous Voices in the Galleries
Sharp Auditorium—Hamilton Building, Lower Level
Ticket required. $20 for public, $10 for Members, $5 for students, free for Museum Friends.
- Museum Friends
Please note: tickets to this talk do not include museum admission.
- March 25, 2023 - 9 am–4 pm MDTFrom Workshop to Nomad: New Thinking about Rug Weaving Categories and Design Influences
- Occurs monthly on Tuesday.Virtual Drop-In Writing
Next is –