Day at the Dye Garden: Flowers to Fabrics
Come see the changes that have taken place in our pop-up Dye Garden over the summer! Watch experts demonstrate the basics of natural dyeing and experiment yourself. See how to transform plants in your garden into natural dyes for creative projects. Become a Dye Detective and discover where natural dyes are used in the museum collection.
For information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 720-913-0130.
Day at the Dye Garden Program (PDF)
Dye Demonstration & Activity Stations on the Plaza
10 am–4 pm
- Create Color Out of Plants
- Silk Painting with Natural Dyes
- Eco Dyeing
- Pop-up Planning for Dye Garden Planting
10 am–4 pm
Sign up on the plaza
Dye Detective Game
11 am–4 pm Hamilton Building, Freight Elevator, (Level 1)
Follow clues around the museum to find natural dyes in our textile artworks. Collect pieces of naturally dyed yarn along the way to create a project to take home.
Fun to Explore
10 am–5 pm
- Play in the Just for Fun Center Duncan Pavilion (Level 2): Color, build, and imagine in the Just for Fun Center.
- Kids Corner North Building (Level 1): Color, try on costumes, and climb at the Kids Corner.
- Quilt Studio Hamilton Building (Level 1): Grab some fabric and explore the art of quilt making.
- Thread Studio North Building (Level 6): Try your hand at weaving and sewing.
Backpacks & Create-n-Takes
10:30 am–4 pm
- Check out a Backpack Hamilton Building (Level 1): Choose a Family Backpack or Art Tube at the Family Activity Cart and go on an adventure through the museum.
- Create-n-Take: Tupu Pins North Building (Level 4): Get inspired by our Fashion Fusion exhibition and design your own pin.
- Create-n-Take: Stitches & Symbols North Building (Level 5): Unlock the meaning of Chinese symbols and create your own rank badge.
- Create-n-Take: Purses & Pouches North Building (Level 6): Discover how people carried small treasures long ago and sew your own pouch.